Metro Boomin Setup, Bio, & MoreCarmine
Born Leland Tyler Wayne, Metro Boomin is a 23 year old super producer from St. Louis, Missouri. While attending college he began working with famous artists such as Gucci Mane. He realized that producing beats was a much more lucrative path so he left school to pursue it full time. This was an extremely wise decision as Metro Boomin is practically a house hold name now. Even if you don’t know him, you’ve probably heard his songs on the radio or in the club. ‘Bad and Boujee’ from Migos was produced by Leland and hit the #1 spot in the country.
He comes from humble beginnings though, learning to play the bass guitar in a middle school band before picking up Fruity Loops at the age of 13 when his mother bought him a laptop. In highschool he would create up to 5 beats in a single day and often fell asleep at the keyboard. His mom also began continually driving him over 8 hours to Atlanta so young Metro could collaborate with artists like OJ Da Juiceman, Tay Don, Gucci Mane and eventually Future.
Metro Boomin now boasts a mixtape with Nav, an EP with 21 Savage, and tons of hit singles. Below are his chart rankings as of October of 2017.
For the aspiring hip hop producers, this is some of the gear Metro uses himself if you’re looking to step up your hardware.
Metro Boomin Studio Setup
M-Audio Keystation 61-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
A MIDI keyboard is mandatory in a producers studio. It allows you to make melodies, chords, and any harmonics much easier and enables you to be more creative. Metro Boomin uses the M-Audio 61 key USB controller among a few other controllers.. The Keystation 61 is a simple and powerful MIDI keyboard made for creating music and playing virtual instruments on any workstation or OS. It features 61 full sized velocity-sensitive keys to give you a realistic playing experience. There are also several controls to manipulate notes.
- MIDI keyboard controller that needs to be in any home studio.
- Powered by USB connection so you can easily plug it in and use it.
- 61 full-size, semi weighted velocity sensitive keys with 1/4-inch sustain-pedal
- Octave range buttons with pitch bend/modulation wheels and transport controls.
- Includes SONiVOX Eighty-Eight Ensemble, a world-class virtual piano instrument, and Ableton Live Lite.
Akai Professional MPC Touch
An MPC is another extremely useful tool for putting together great beats very quickly. Some times our hands have way better rhythm than anything else. This is where an MPC steps in and enables you to flow all of those ideas into your track. Zaytoven is well known for creating some of his best beats on a drum machine like this. This one from Akai features a portable size with all of the pads and controls you would ever need.
- 7″ color multi-touch display.
- 16 velocity-sensitive thick MPC pads that also have RGB backlighting.
- 2-in/2-out audio interface.
- Touch interface step sequencer.
- XYFX control allows you to add effects or adjust sound dynamics in real time.
PreSonus AudioBox USB 2×2 Audio Interface
An audio interface is another one of those mandatory pieces of studio equipment. Metro Boomin takes advtange of the PreSonus AudioBox to improve his sound. It’s made to not be over complicated and give you everything you need to use it from the jump. Start recording right away with it’s USB connectivity and Studio One Artists software that’s included.
- Bus-powered USB audio and MIDI interface that’s perfect for home studios.
- 24-bit resolution, 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rate.
- 2 combo mic/instrument inputs with high-performance, low-noise, high-headroom mic preamplifiers
- Zero-latency analog monitoring.
- Includes a free download of Studio One 3 Artist DAW software
- 6+ GB of third party resources after product registration to boost your workflow.
- Compatible with mostly any OS/DAW.
Razer Blade Pro Gaming Laptop
If you’ve wondered what laptop Metro Boomin uses, we found out for you. Since he utilizes Fruity Loops for production it makes sense he would get a Windows OS based laptop, and he got one of the best. Razer has always been known to be at the top of gaming gear but they also make incredibly powerful computers. If you want to produce lots of beats, you’ll need a healthy amount of CPU, storage, and power to back you up. The Razer Blade Pro is sturdy, features a built-in mechanical keyboard, one of the best GPU’s, and a stunning 17 inch 4k display.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB) and Intel Core i7-6700HQ quad-core processor.
- 3840 x 2160 UHD g-sync touch Display.
- Chroma mechanical keyboard for a better computer experience.
- Make beats all day without issues.
Thank you for reading our breakdown of Metro Boomin’s equipment and his biography. If you enjoyed it, feel free to check out other articles we’ve written on producers and artists.